20 August 2010

Error when listing or trying to change Server Roles or Features

When I logged onto one of my test servers today and I tried to add an additional role I found this problem:



There is a Error where my roles should be.  The same for Features.

Clicking on Error Details gives me the following:

"Unexpected error refreshing Server Manager: The remote procedure call failed. (Exception from Hresult: 0x800706BE)

For more information see the event logs..."

So I go and check the event logs and find:



Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Description:
Faulting application name: TrustedInstaller.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc4b0
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16559, time stamp: 0x4ba9b802
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x0000000000052880
Faulting process id: 0x564
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb405fab8285ce
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\servicing\TrustedInstaller.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: ed4f54be-ac52-11df-8152-00155dacb410



In the system log I find a probably related event:

Log Name: System

Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7031
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Description:
The Windows Modules Installer service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 300000 milliseconds: Restart the service.


I can start the service without any problems but when I run a refresh of the roles or features the service fails .

Not to be out done by a simple failed Service I thought I would head over to the Powershell.  But no luck here either:




Thinking about it, not really that unexpected since the underlying mechanism being used by both of these process is in trouble.

I found an article that recommended Running the following patch update file would resolve the problem:  Windows6.1-KB947821-v5-x64.msu  available from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Download the 95Mb update and install. And just like that the problem is resolved - not even a reboot required.

Both server manager and Powershell is working again.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the only person ON THE ENTIRE INTERNET that knows about this hotfix.

You just saved me a server rebuild in a high-availabilty environment. You da man!

infomike said...

I tried this approach, but it did not work for me. It only showed corrupt files but coppying those accross did not resolve the issue. I had to follow instructions at the link.

http://capitalhead.com/articles/unexpected-error-refreshing-server-manager-errors-0x800706be-and-1601-on-window-server-2008-r2.aspx said...

This did not work for me at all - click the link for a solution.

Etienne Liebetrau said...

Thanks mike for posting this link to a post that cover additional corrupt file issues.

Anonymous said...

thanks so Much.. this Solve my Problem.....folarin from Nigeria.

Post a Comment